Last week I took the 1 Train to South Ferry to teach my midday class. I never take the 1 Train to that location. Anyhoot, I took the 1 Train because a little, sweet voice in my head told me to, you know, “Take the 1 Train.”
So! I’m riding along in a packed car. We stop at the next station and a woman steps in and squeezes her way to the only seat left, which is next to me. She’s holding a bag with her whole lunch, preparing to whip it out and eat the entire meal on the train. “Ugggggh!” I quietly groaned (or my big ol’ ego groaned). But, to me and my ego’s amazement, she simply pulled out a small bag of chips, unfolded a piece of crumpled paper, and began to read while munching. I couldn’t help but glance over to see what she was reading and what a gift I got!
As the train reached my station, I asked politely if I could snap a picture of the paper she was reading. She, looked at me, smiled and said “Oh no bother, as soon as I finish reading this last sentence, THIS is for you!” Again, what a gift!
And, so I’m sharing “Some Words of Wisdom to Live By” from the Potato Chip Lady today because, apparently, I was supposed to take a train I never take, sit by that lovely lady, and receive this message…to share with you! So here goes:
- Life isn’t fair, but it is still good.
- Time heals almost everything, so give time, time.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagreements.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- Each night before you go to bed, complete these statements: “I am thankful for… & “Today I accomplished…”
- Call your family often.
- Take a 10-30 minute walk every day and while you walk, smile.
- Forgive everyone for everything
- Dream more while you are awake.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes every day.
- Enjoy the ride. Remember this is not Disney World and you certainly don’t want a fast pass. Make the most of it and enjoy the ride.
- Smile and laugh more. It will keep the energy vampires away.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously, no one else does.
- Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn, pass all your tests. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class, but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
- No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Spend more time with people over the age of seventy and under the age of six.
- When you wake up in the morning, complete the following statement, “My purpose is _____today.”
- Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- The best is yet to come. BELIEVE!
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Make peace with your past, so it won’t mess up your present. However good or bad a situation is – – it will change.
- Live with the 3 “E’s” …ENERGY, ENTHUSIASM, and EMPATHY; and the 3 “F’s”…FAITH, FAMILY, and FRIENDS.
Have a Blessed Life.
“Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly…and for heaven’s sake, eat your dessert first. Why save the best for last!”
p.s. Sharing is caring! So pass along to your family & friends. And make sure to Tweet, FB, etc. your favorite and tag me at #bytracye.